July is Smart Irrigation Month and it’s a good time to think about ways to learn how to water more efficiently around your home.
There are a number of irrigation systems on the market that once properly installed, can help you save money and water. Or you can consider ways to make your existing system more efficient with easy retrofits, such as rain sensors, high efficiency sprinkler nozzles or weather-based irrigation controllers. These irrigation systems allow you to easily adjust watering schedules to fit different needs.
You’ll find a number of tips promoting efficient water use at watersavings.org, including:
- Minimize overwatering and stick to the maximum three days per week watering schedule in your area. Contact your water provider to learn your watering schedule.
- Adjust sprinkler head positions and spray patterns to avoid watering sidewalks.
- Adjust watering times to account for local weather conditions.
- Put every drop of water to work by minimizing evaporation and overspray. No matter how often you water it, concrete will not grow.
- Set your controller and adjust watering schedules to irrigate typically between the evening and early morning.
The water district offers free water surveys that help identify opportunities where you can conserve water. Our Water Wise House Call professionals are just a phone call away. We’ll come and check for leaks in and around your home. You may also receive free faucet kitchen and bathroom aerators and shower heads.
To schedule your free Water Wise House Call at 1-800-548-1882.
(San Jose Water Company customers should call (408) 279-7900)