As we approach winter in a drought emergency, Valley Water continues to explore ways to secure enough water to help our communities weather future droughts.
Our agency remains focused on preparing for future wet and dry years through a variety of projects and programs, including the proposed expansion of Pacheco Reservoir in Southern Santa Clara County. A partnership with the San Benito County Water District and Pacheco Pass Water District, the project would increase the reservoir’s capacity from 5,500 acre-feet to up to 140,000 acre-feet, enough water to supply up to 1.4 million residents for one year during an emergency.
The project would also provide environmental benefits to the federally threatened South-Central California Coast Steelhead trout through habitat enhancement in and along Pacheco Creek.
Valley Water has released a Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) on the Pacheco Reservoir Expansion Project for public review beginning on Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021, and ending on Friday, Jan. 21, 2022, an excess of 60 days.
The Draft EIR may be reviewed at valleywater.org/project-updates/a1-pacheco-reservoir-expansion-project. The Draft EIR is also available for in-person review during normal business hours at the following locations:
- Valley Water, 5750 Almaden Expressway, San Jose, CA 95118
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, 150 E. San Fernando Street, San Jose, CA 95112
- Almaden Branch Library, 6445 Camden Avenue, San Jose, CA 95120
- Vineland Branch Library, 1450 Blossom Hill Road, San Jose, CA 95118
- Pearl Avenue Branch Library, 4270 Pearl Avenue, San Jose, CA 95136
- Edenvale Branch Library, 101 Branham Lane East, San Jose, CA 95111
- Cambrian Branch Library, 1780 Hillsdale Avenue, San Jose, CA 95124
- Santa Teresa Branch Library, 290 International Circle, San Jose, CA 95119
- Los Banos Branch of the Merced County Library, 1312 S 7th St, Los Banos, CA, 93635
- San Benito County Free Library, 470 5th Street, Hollister, CA 95023
- Gilroy Library, 350 W 6th Street, Gilroy, CA 95020
- Morgan Hill Library, 660 West Main Avenue, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
Written comments on the Draft EIR should be received by Friday, Jan. 21, 2022. Written comments can be emailed to PachecoExpansion@valleywater.org or submitted by mail to:
Todd Sexauer, Senior Environmental Planner
Santa Clara Valley Water District
5750 Almaden Expressway
San Jose, CA 95118
Valley Water will also be hosting a virtual public meeting on Jan. 13, 2022 from 5 to 7 p.m. to answer questions about the Draft EIR. The meeting will include a detailed presentation of the Draft EIR.
To join the webinar, please save the link below. The meeting information is also available on the Valley Water website.
Dial-in +1 669 900 9128
Webinar ID: 857 6203 1311
On Nov. 9, 2021, the Valley Water Board of Directors unanimously approved a funding commitment for the Pacheco Reservoir Expansion Project to remain eligible for up to $496 million in conditional funding from the state’s Prop 1 Water Storage Investment Program (WSIP).
To remain eligible for WSIP funding, the Board of Directors was required to make a commitment for not less than 75% of the non-public benefit cost share of the Pacheco Reservoir Expansion Project. This funding commitment will come from Water Utility revenues, the Safe, Clean Water and Natural Flood Protection Program Revenues (to the extent authorized under the program), other Valley Water funds, and from Pacheco Project partners.
Valley Water must also complete feasibility studies for the project and make Draft environmental documents for the Pacheco Reservoir Expansion Project available for public review.
For additional information, please contact Todd Sexauer at (408) 630-3149. If you have any questions concerning the virtual public meeting, please contact Mark Gomez at (408) 630-2985 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the proposed project, please visit valleywater.org/project-updates/a1-pacheco-reservoir-expansion-project.